There are currently no vacancies.
What is a waiter/waitress?
The waiter/waitress is the person who takes your order at a restaurant, or bar, and bring it to your table.
What are the typical duties of a waiter/waitress?
- Providing excellent customer service to ensure satisfaction
- Taking customer orders and delivering food and beverages in a timely fashion
- Making menu recommendations, answering questions and sharing additional information upon request
More specific waiter/waitress responsibilities may include:
- Greet customers, present menus, and explain daily specials to customers
- Answer questions related to menu items and make recommendations
- Take food and beverage orders from customers
- Relay food and beverage orders to the kitchen staff
- Prepare drinks and food garnishes
- Carry trays of food or drinks from the kitchen to the dining tables
- Remove dirty dishes and glasses and clean tables after customers finish meals
- Prepare itemized checks and hand them to customers and sometimes take payment
- Clean and set up dining areas, refill condiments, roll silverware, and stock service areas
What skills do I need?
- Communication skills.
- Customer-service skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Physical stamina.
What qualifications do I need?
No formal education is required, most learn through short-term training while on the job.
What hours will I work?
Most shifts are part-time. Many work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays. This is especially true for those who work in full-service restaurants.
What can you expect to earn as a Waiter or a Waitress? Waiters/Waitress positions are an important role in any restaurant. Salaries will of course vary depending on your experience, qualifications, the organisation and sector plus whether you are employed on part-time or full-time.
According to Payscale, a Waiter/Waitress earns an average salary of £11,047 to £18,576 per year. Many waiters and waitresses get their earnings from a combination of hourly wages and customer tips.
Other types of Hospitality Jobs: